Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Preparedness

So there are lots of things lately that have scared me into getting some food storage started and just becoming more prepared in general. The major earthquake in China recently was the first thing that scared me.

We live in a 118 year old house, in the basement, on the wasatch front where an earthquake could happen anytime really. Scary much? The Earthquake in China was devastating. So many people, including children in schools, died. It is likely that if we had an earthquake close to the magnitude of China's, we would not survive, let alone need all the items I've been preparing, but just in case, might as well be prepared right!?

Also, last month our ward conference was completely about being prepared. They briefly spoke about being spiritually prepared, which is of course more important than anything, but they really emphisized food storage and other preparedness topics. Ever since then, I've slowly, but more quickly than in the past, been gathering prepardness items. I have always been putting it off and using the lack of space in our one bedroom apartment as an excuse. But I realized that with some rearanging and some new added shelving as organization, it could be done. We are far from a year's supply, and I am still not quite as prepared as I would like to be, but I feel much better now.
Here is a list of items I have in 1 out of 2 72 hr. kits I have put together in addition to a regular food supply. If you see anything you can think of that I should add that I haven't thought of yet, just let me know. I plan on continuing to add things constantly and I am open to ideas.

(1) Small Scissors
(1) Small flashlight
(2) Crunchy oat bars
(1) Chocolate chip granola bar
(1) Canned tuna
(1) Can opener
(1) Whistle
(1) Toothbrush with floss
(1) Hand warmer
(2) feet warmers
(1) Rain Poncho
(1) Heat Blanket
(4) Lighters
(1) Hand sanitizer
(2) “AAA” Batteries
(2) “AA” Batteries
(2) Elastic bands
Post-it notes
(1) sharpie & (1) pen
$______ Change (emergency money)
Feminine Hygiene
Multi-Vitamins
Ibuprofen
(2) Sudafed
Tylenol PM
Band-aides
Cotton Swabs
Pocket size tissues
Hotel size Shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion
Pocket knife
Sunscreen
Chapstick


It's smart to keep a 72 hr. kit and a First-aid kit in the car as well. We spend so much time in the car, you never know what could happen and what you will need while you are away from home.
Here are some other miscellanoues items I've read that are good for preparedness...
Having a fire extinguisher on hand, keeping your gas tank atleast 1/2 full, keeping extra fuel on hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is really cute these days. Also I've been thinking about that too and it worries me. I put it off cause I'm single and who wants to do food storage when you're single? Haha. I'm gonna steal your list though. What are you putting it in, a book bag?

Nicolette said...

Cass- I've been putting it all in large protein powder containers. Skyler goes through those like crazy. Then if we needed to we could stick them in a couple book bags and we're good to go. Oh, FYI I added chapstick to the list! Can't forget that!

Anonymous said...

So I'm almost done with this. I really want to get it done so I can move on to the year storage!