Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Long-Distance Gardening

I assumed I wasn't going to plant any kind of garden this year because since we've moved, I didn't have a backyard to plant anything (even in pots like I did last year) but then my mom asked me if I wanted to plant one in my grandparents garden. So we did.

Most was planted from seed and everything is thriving. We'v
e been using a drip hose to water the garden since we're doing it long distance. I now swear by it. It must be a great thing even if you're doing it in your own backyard! Unless you have sprinklers hitting it of course.

This year we planted Green Beans, Zucchini, Butternut and Summer Squash, Pumpkin, Radishes, and of course Tomatoes. Unfortunately we've had a deer problem this year. The deer live across the street from my grandmother's house and frequently graze in the area. The deer have taken it upon themselves to eat most of the green bean plants. We gave up on those long ago. RIP green beans! The deer took nibbles at the zucchinis and the tomato plant and even nibbled at our ginormous pumpkin, but other than killing our bean plants, we haven't had much of a problem lately, thank goodness.

Here are the sad green bean plants...

The flowers on the radish plants...

These mini tomatoes are heavenly. So colorful and sweet!





LOTS of radishes this year. I went a little radish happy when planting them.
I've learned that they need to be harvested when they are small. If they get too big, then supposedly they are super hot. I tried one from this harvest and I didn't like it. But I'm open to trying it again next time around.

If nothing else, I just love the bright color of the radishes. They are so pretty, and fun to pull from the ground I must add.



2 comments:

Andrea said...

maybe the next our family project should be to put up a fence! sorry about the green beans those are my favorite

Heather said...

You should try frying the zucchini blossoms. Haven't tried it, but want to!