Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In Heaven Together

Tonight, just a few days after President Hinkley's passing, Skyler was sent a link by someone in our ward relating to the passing of a member of our ward who had also passed away Sunday night. His name is Norman Rothman. He was an older man, as are most of the people in our ward. Our ward is actually quite large and I find it hard to know even half of the ward, but Norman, I knew. He was such a great man. I remember him as the funny man from New York. He definately had a NY accent. I remember one time when Skyler and I sat down in our seats just before Sunday School was to start and he (the sunday school president) came over to us and jokingly said "Now remember, wait until 11:40 (after sunday school) to neck." I laughed but was pretty suprised that those words came from his cute old man face. He was so funny and so warm. I felt drawn to him more than I am to most of the older folks in the ward. Brother Rothman was actually a good friend of President Hinkley. Our ward meets in the JSMB along with the Prophet and Norman and his wife were the only ones allowed to be present to greet the prophet as he entered his sacrement meeting every week. Here is the story we watched on KSL's website.
KSL's story

The story really touched me. Tears have actually been coming down for a bit now. The part that just got me was when Annette, his wife, said that one thing Norman promised her was that he would never die before President Hinckley. He kept his word. He died only a few moments after she told him of his passing. Wow.

No comments: