Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm moving to France!

Not really... But I'm thinking about it. Canada seems like it might be boring, so how about France or even England!? We just finished watching SICKO, a film by Michael Moore. Now I will say that I'm not really into Michael Moore all that much. I kind of think of him as a creepy guy that is way too into voicing what seems to be anti-American opinions. However, when I was attending UVSC, Michael Moore came to speak. I was open to hearing what he had to say. I can't even remember what the topic of conversation, or debate was, but I went away thinking, "hmm, this guy has got a point". As I said, he's kind of creepy, but he sure brings up some stuff that makes ya think. Makes me think.

Skyler started to watch it alone and then came to me and told me I would enjoy it. I was doubtful. But I agreed and watched it with him. I ended up totally flipping out at what people were saying in this film. He interviewed Americans, Canadians, French, Britt's. I was totally blown away. All of the people he interviewed in the other countries, LOVED not having to pay anything for health care. I will spare you the details. If you want them, I recommend that you watch the film! However, after I hear a strong opinion one way, I usually want to want to hear the "other side of the story" or an opposing opinion. But I don't understand why an average American would oppose this. After watching the movie, I am all for it. Do you have any opposing views to Universal Health Care? Have you seen the documentary? What do you think?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

My friends from Canada. He pays almost 50% of this paycheck to taxes.

Lets break it down. you make 100k a year. You pay almost 50k in taxes, 10k tithing. And your left to live off of 40k a year. Sure, you don't have out of pocket cost for health care, BUT you DO have to pay for it in taxes weather you go to the dr or not.

I was for it too after watching that show, but it was one sided.

I do believe that we need some major changes in health care, but socializing isn't the answer. The insurance companies need an overhaul. The vp's are making bank and ripping us off. Thats what needs to change.

chelseareeve said...

My sister saw the video and had similar feelings too. She doesn't like Michael Moore, but she liked what he was doing through educating and discovering what other's feel about this issue. I haven't seen the video, but maybe I will now.

Thanks for clarifying the tagging. I want to do it, I just need time to think about it.

Have a great day my friend.

Brett - Rachel B said...

I agree with the Redfam. Other countries have lots more benefits, but they don't admit how much they pay in taxes.
In the air force I have a chance for free dental, that is if I get it on base and am willing to stand in line for it. No offense to the elderly, but they practically live in the office lines, making it completely unrealistic for me to take advantage. I paid over $1000 for dental problems this last month, so yah, don't think I didn't think about it.
Also my exboyfriend went on a mission to Canada. He got so sick and had to have waited in the lines at the doctors office for days, until the point he just gave up.
Also, other countries don't have to pay for a huge military like we do. However, they are the same countries who expect us to take care of them if they go to war. So adding more tax for health care is way unrealistic if we wanna get back on our feet.
So glad you blogged about this! I love hearing my friends opinions. I will definately watch the show when the election is over!

Nicolette said...

Yeah, I could tell that it seemed pretty one sided. I wish it wasn't. He brought up the tax increase topic, but kind of skimmed over it. I was still left wondering how much they really pay. He also brought up the waiting in line forever thing and went to a couple places and people told him that thats never an issue. But your example is proof that some people do have to.

Last night I remember Skyler saying that even if only 50%, or even just 25% of what was in the film was true... it's pretty discusting how the system is though. It's sad that people can't get the care they need in order to live. It sucks that if you aren't a person who can afford to pay $60,000 out of pocket to get your finger sewn on, then your out of luck. And insurance companies, wow, I wont even go there. I suppose UHC probably wouldn't be the best option, but I sure wish there was something better out there. That film really shed some light on the topic for me, even if it WAS one-sided.

Thanks for you comments. I like hearing your thoughts on this!

Kenley and Mel said...

I haven't seen this documentary, I would sure love to though! This stuff is so important!

Kittyrunner said...

I can tell you what Ben would say. He had surgery in Spain where they have the same type of health care system. The nurses were smoking on the floor where he had his lung surgery. It was not the greatest quality care. It's a tough issue because it seems like there's never going to be a perfect solution unfortunately.