Sunday, April 27, 2008

Life is fragile

As I was returning home from work yesterday afternoon, I was talking with Skyler on the phone about our plans for the rest of the day, when I saw ahead of me a little ways, a horrible rollover accident. Once I realized what I had just seen, I interrupted Skyler and said " Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" Maybe even several more times. My heart started pounding pretty fast. I was pretty terrified for whoever was in the car. It was actually a truck with some kind of trailer attached to it. I'm pretty sure the truck started in one of the far left lanes and it ended up on it's side hitting the railing on the right. I saw it roll atleast 4 times but it may have rolled more before I noticed it. Immediately cars started slowing down and I saw people rushing over to help. As I passed by I saw someone helping hold a cloth to some young womens head. She had blood coming down everywhere. Then there were guys trying to get other people out of the truck that were still stuck. I hung up with Skyler and called 911. Of course I was on hold of sorts. "If this is an emergency, please do not hang up. Stay on the line." This is quite discomforting. After about a minute or so I just hung up becuase I noticed several people out of their cars on their phones most likely calling the police as well. I wasn't home for the rest of the night so I was unable to see if everyone was ok or not. I couldn't find it online either.
This is not the first time I've seen a rollover. I think I was still in high school, or maybe freshly graduated. I was taking a weekend roadtrip with a friend to visit her boyfriends family. She was actually speeding pretty bad going like 90mph or so in the carpool lane when all of the sudden some cars collided ahead of us and a truck rolled and ramed into the shoulder just ahead of us. We were sooo close to hitting him going 90mph! She quickly slowed down and pulled over. I'm pretty sure I was the one freaking out while she kept calm. That was even worse of an accident.
I'm grateful I was only a witness in both of these. It really makes me grateful for life and makes me realize how fragile life is. I think we all need to be reminded to not take life for granted and live everyday to the fullest.

4 comments:

thebelnapfam said...

Wow I bet that was so scary. I have never seen a rollover but I did see a guy on a motorcycle hit and that made me not ever want to be on a motorcycle!!!! It is scary out there. I am glad were not in it as well.

Anonymous said...

ohh that is soo scary.. Those always scare me. I hate seeing accidents. I am glad you are ok..

satomblablabla said...

wow, those are the kinds of moments that you never forget. they make you think twice about holding grudges or putting off the things that count in life!

Brett - Rachel B said...

thats so crazy! Glad it wasn't you though.