Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July

In the Duncan household, we take having fun on the 4th of July very very seriously. This is by far my favorite holiday of the year. Seriously, what's not to love about the 4th of July? Here's what we do...

First off we always start by going to breakfast. Usually we go to the breakfast put on by the city of Kaysville at the DATC. We did that this year. They piled our plates higher than normal. Bradley, because he is a teenage boy ended up with about 8 pancakes on his plate! He ate about 6 of them.




Then we always go to the Kaysville Parade in the afternoon. This time we brought the canopy. It was nice to sit in the shade while watching the parade. It was nice and relaxing. I sort of miss my younger years when I actually jumped up and down for the candy. It was more fun that way. Sometimes being a grown-up isn't as much fun!



Then of course a BBQ. We had more food than we could handle. We had hot dogs, turkey burgers, ribs, drumsticks, tons of fruit and more. So delicious!


Then we had a waterfight. I bought several water squirt thingys from the dollar store. They were awesome.




Brad LOVES fireworks. He likes to show me how firecrackers arn't really all that dangerous. I think his pyrotecnics will be his dimise.


We spelt some words in the air with the sparklers




Kaysville Fireworks




I'll end with saying how grateful I am for the freedom that we have. This country could use of a lot of improvement, but we really have so much and so much freedom. Sometimes I take it all for granted, but I'm glad I can be reminded atleast once a year. I'm also grateful to be able to spend it with the people that matter most to me. That is what makes me the most happy.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

ok, you have to tell me how you did the firework pics, they are the most amazing i have EVERY seen in my lifetime. Please please please!

Mandi said...

Wow!! those pics are amazing. how did you get them, i want to know.. You must have a great camera or something. I love that pic. Looks like you guys had a great time. I would love to live somewhere where they did stuff like that. It is too hot here. But it was fun!!!

Nicolette said...

Tripod baby, all the way. Seriously, it's not possible to take descent fireworks shots without a tripod. It's a must... that or higher ISO setting, but then it will be grainy and still not as good.
I also used longer shutter speeds so more fireworks could be captured in one shot.

Stephanie said...

how do you get longer shutter speed?

Nicolette said...

What kind of camera do you use? SLR? Only SLR's can allow you to adjust shutter speed. You can put your camera in manuel mode (usually the "M" at the top of your camera) and then adjust the shutter speed. Maybe take a look at your camera manuel book to see how to do that. Hope that helps.