Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hello Mr. Porcupine!

Tonight Skyler and I went for a walk over to Temple Square. It was so quite and romantic. Still in Temple Square, but on our way out, what do we see? None other than a porcupine! Of course. Why not a porcupine? This is something totally expected downtown, in an area completely surrounded by busy streets.
The little guy was waddling back and forth. Occasionally he would get on his hind legs and try to look into the windows of the building. He was actually surprisingly quite cute! I thought this as I stood on top of a bench keeping my distance (I was wearing shorts and flip flops.)
I freaked out maybe just a little bit more than necessary as Skyler got closer and closer to him. He called animals services s he followed it but apparently they don't care about these kind of animals. They are not a real threat. I was a little surprised. I was under the impression that these things can really hurt if they attack! And I also thought that even just the mere presence of someone might scare them enough to run at cheetah speeds and attack with their spiky things! I was told that no they have to really feel threatened, which usually happens if you get way too close. I suppose I need to be educated a bit more on wildlife!

2 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

omgosh thats nuts! I've never seen a porcupine in the daylight before. That guy is pretty stinkin cute!

Nicolette said...

It's actually not my pictures. It's just the closest thing I could fine online to how it looked. And it was actually night time as well.