Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 4: Roatan, Honduras

Be prepared for some serious color. The colors painted on so many of the buildings and the color of the water was exactly what I pictured the Caribbean to be. I hope my pictures give you a small taste of just how awesome and colorful Honduras is. Honduras was also pretty much exactly how I pictured it; though I didn't really know what to expect.





We took a guided tour of Roatan. We packed into a small van and drove around on some, for the most part, well paved roads through the populated city/town, whatever you want to call it, and through the more naturey parts to the Garifuna center.


We watched some traditional dances performed by the descendants of African slaves. They even pulled me up there to dance with them. Rather embarrassing because it looked so easy but it wasn't when you actually try it; for me anyways! I'm sure I just looked ridiculous! My mom has video of it. We'll definitely have to keep that locked up in a vault somewhere.


We tasted their cassava bread that was made from a root of some kind; I can't remember. Quite good.

This place was fun, but definitely not even close to as authentic as I was expecting. Not even close. It was seriously so catered to tourists!


A cashew from the cashew tree. Lots of Cashew trees here. apparently it's quite the process to harvest and get cashews to the point that we find them in the stores. Now I know why they're so expensive!



Loved this blue wall! I wish I could have taken some of these colorful walls home with me!


Cute monkey on a leash



I wished Skyler was here to see these. He would have loved to see these. He likes beautiful birds like this, especially the ones that talk.



We boarded a motorized dory for a ride over to and through the mangrove tunnel. This was so simple but one of my favorite things/memories from any of the excursions. I thought the mangroves were awesome. I was just like a kid. I thought these trees with their crazy roots in the water were just the coolest thing.








A video of the mangrove tunnel



In the small dory, on the way back to land, it started pooring rain. It was coming down pretty hard. I thought it was pretty funny because we had no where to hide. It only rained for what seemed like 2 minutes or less and we came off the boat drenched!



1 comment:

satomblablabla said...

holy crap, that's a huge cashew!... maybe just the way you shot it???

as always, gorgeous pics!!