Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 5: Belize

Belize was quite the eye opener for me. We took a tour of Belize City. It was full of poverty. This city was extrememly overpopulated and it was obvious. The homes were usually pretty close together, there were people everywhere, and junk was everywhere! I hadn't seen poverty like this before, and to think that there is still even worse poverty in other places in the world! Hard to believe! I didn't get any pictures, but I got lots of video. Maybe I'll have to make a video compilation someday.

After the city tour we took an almost hour drive to the Belizian country to see some Mayan Ruins. This was well worth the drive. Once you walk into the area with all the ruins, it was kind of breath taking. I couldn't help but try to picture how life was back when these ruins were daily life for some people. This place was so cool!



Face in the stone

Awesome Tree

Our tour guide (of Mayan descent herself)




The Sun God Temple



We climed to the top of the Sun God Temple
Awesome View



Ok, now all day long I had noticed some swelling in my ankles. I wasn't sure if it was a reaction from my sunburn, which in reality didn't seem bad enough to do that, or the humidity, or if it was pregnancy. I came to the conclusion that it may have been a mix of all or most of those things of those because mom had swollen ankles as well. And no you can't really tell in the pictures, thank goodness, but it was obvious up close!

So they were swollen all day, but I didn't really stop to look at them until we were back on the ship, in our room. I put my feet up on the bed and panicked! I had never seen my ankles like that before! And of course thanks to my hormones, I cried. My mom was trying to be sympathetic but mostly laughed while I looked horrifiedly towards my feet.

And of course I'll end with some soothing sea pictures.

2 comments:

Mandi Roth said...

Love the pictures!! What a fun trip! Sorry about the ankles, I know the feeling. Mine were very swollen on the cruise and when we went to Disneyland.

Brett - Rachel B said...

Gorgeous! I'm drooling!